Select Page

Taraba State Government has commenced a working partnership with the National Biotechnology Development Agency.


As a teaser, the State Governor, Arc. Darius Dickson Ishaku has mandated the Bioresources Development Center Jalingo to train One hundred indigenes of the State in various skills within the center.

Governor Darius Dickson Ishaku made the commitment yesterday when he visited the Bioresources development center to familiarize himself with services offered by the Agency and to seek ways that the state can benefit maximally from such services.

The Governor who was impressed with activities of the center promised to provide the Agency with a transformer to help them in carrying out their activities stressing that electricity is very important in any research based center.

He also made a promise to construct a culvert to link the Agency with the major road and equally assured them that his administration will construct six classrooms for the center when the economy of the state improves, saying that, the Bioresources development center is very critical and it will assist him in his rescue mission in the state.

Governor Darius Ishaku maintained that his Rescue Mission is geared towards making people of the state self sufficient and sustaining so as to reduce dependence on government for the provision of services.

Darius Ishaku made a personal donation of two million Naira to assist the center in its research work and encouraged the Agency to go into partnership with Advanced Manufacturing Technology Programme, Jalingo AMT-P, stressing that with proper partnership with the National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure NASENI, the Bioresources center will go a long way in meeting its lofty objectives.

The Governor then directed the state Commissioner of Science and Technology to immediately liaise with NASENI so that those that will be trained at the Bioresources center will be presented with relevant implements at their graduation.

Earlier, the coordinator of the National Biotechnology Development Agency, Dr. Jummai Adamu Tutuwa informed the Governor that the Bioresources Development Center was established in the State in 2012 and the basic function of the Agency is research and training, basically in Biotechnology.

Conducting the Governor, Darius Ishaku and his Deputy, Haruna Manu round some of the researches carried out by the Agency, Dr. Jummai Adamu said so far the center has conducted researches on moringa and has developed moringa tea, Shea butter, Jatropha biofuel and cake which is used as cake for animal feeds as well as converting the bye product into organic fertilizers.


Other areas touched by the Agency included the domestication of Grass cutter, she explained that the meat of the animal is said to be very effective in the treatment Diabetes. It also does dog breeding, processing of Yam flour, Plantain Flour, processing and bottling of palm wine, poultry and fish farming all using locally sourced materials.

Dr. Jummai Adamu said the Agency has 217 adding that 70% of them are indigenes of the state while the other 30% are from other parts of the Country and used the opportunity to intimate the Governor on some of the problems the centre is faced with. Some of the problems she mentioned include lack of transformer that will help the center power some of their machines asserting that most of their work require constant electricity.

Other problems included lack of classrooms for both theory and practical and a culvert to immediately help stop the threat of erosion within the gate of the center.

She said the Center has trained over 1600 persons in various skills from 2012 to date and solicited for a harmonious working partnership with state Government positing that Taraba state is a fertile ground for the center considering the enormous resources the state is blessed with.

On his way to the National Biotechnology Agency, Governor Darius Ishaku and his entourage briefly stopped over to inspect the on going bridge construction at Mayo Dassa, which is almost 70%, completed.