Following the inspection and sensitization visit of Taraba state Governor, Arc. Darius Dickson Ishaku and Benue state Governor, Samuel Ortom to the boundary communities in Kente, Arufu amd Akwana, in earnest pursuance of peace, a communique was issued at the end of the Boundary/Security Peace meeting held on Tuesday 5th September 2017 at Ugba Youth Centre, Logo Local Government Area of Benue state.
The Communique is thus, presented below.
BEING A COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF BENUE AND TARABA STATES BOUNDARY/SECURITY PEACE MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY 5TH SEPTEMBER, 2017 AT UGBA YOUTH CENTRE, LOGO LOCAL GOVERNMENT, BENUE STATE.
In furtherance to the two State Governors desire for sustainable peace along the border communities of Benue and Taraba States, their Excellencies Samuel Ortom and Arc. Darius Dickson Ishaku, Heads of Security Agencies, Traditional Leaders and Critical Stakeholders of Benue and Taraba States undertook inspection and sensitization visit to the following boundary communities to preach peace and the need for peaceful coexistence. The following communities were visited:
At the end of the joint sensitization carried out by the duo Governors, it was resolved and agreed as follows:
1. The Two Governors have agreed to work together for the progress and peaceful coexistence of their people;
2. The two Governors have acknowledged the peaceful atmosphere existing among their citizens living along the border corridor and urged them to continue to live peacefully;
3. It was further resolved that the offices of the Deputy Governors of Benue and Taraba States, the States’ Boundary Commission in conjunction with the National Boundary Commission will work out modalities for the demarcation;
4. That at the end of the demarcation exercise all persons/communities that fall on either side of the divide must obey and respect the tenants and norms of the divide;
5. The two Governors have also agreed to implore the Federal Government to rehabilitate the Wukari-Kwatan Sule road to ease the movement of goods, services and people living in the area so as to boost economic activities.
6. That the two Deputy Governors should immediately convene a meeting of the Technical Committee of the two States in collaboration with the National Boundary Commission to work out modalities for immediate implementation.
Samuel Ortom Arc. Darius Dickson Ishaku
Executive Governor, Executive Governor,
Benue State. Taraba State.