The Executive Governor of Taraba state, Arc. Darius Dickson Ishaku has constituted a Judicial Panel of Inquiry and Restitution for victims of Police Brutality and other security agencies.
The event which took place at the premises of Government House, Jalingo has Justice Christopher D. Awubra as the Chairman and the following as members of the panel;
- CSP Shawulu Kaboson – Member
- Dr. Joseph Gimba
- Barr. Aminu Adamu Sabo
- Karkaji Dan Adi
- Mr Samuel Taro
- Yakubu Garpha Usman
- Representative of Students union
- Representative of CAN
- Representative of Muslim Council
- Barr. Elihu Pheedami Eskenah State council is to serve as Help desk officer for complaints and petitions.
The Panel also has the following Terms of Reference:
- To examine the causes of persistent and rampant cases of Police brutality and killings in Taraba State and in Nigeria as a whole from the perspective of the institutional weaknesses of the Police, perception of the general public about role of the Police, and psychological disposition of the individual Police officer.
- To ascertain the extent of the intervention of the Judiciary (Courts) in reducing the frequent cases of Police brutality and killings in the State.
- To identify lapses in our legal system, if any, that aid Police brutality and killings in Taraba State and recommend appropriate amendments.
- To identify the Police officers and men of other Security Agencies involved in Police brutality and killings in Taraba State.
- To ascertain the total and actual number of victims of Police brutality and killings in the State.
- Make recommendations to the State Government on the modalities for the establishment of Victims Support Fund to enable the payment of monetary compensation to deserving Victims.
- Ascertain the amount of compensation payable to surviving Victims or their heirs in the case of persons who died as a result of Police brutality and killings.
- Make recommendations to the State Government on modalities for the establishment of the State-based Special Security Committee.
- Make recommendations to the State Government on modalities for the establishment of the State-based Human Rights Committee.
- Make recommendations to the State Government on the establishment of the Special Committee on the new Police Tactical Units and all other Security Agencies in the State.
- Make recommendations on how best Police formations and other Security Agencies in the State shall consistently protect human rights.
- Consider any other Matter that is incidental to these Terms of Reference and make further recommendations of measures that will assist government in tackling Police brutality and killings in future in the State and the country as a whole.