[fusion_builder_container background_color=”” background_image=”” background_parallax=”none” enable_mobile=”no” parallax_speed=”0.3″ background_repeat=”no-repeat” background_position=”left top” video_url=”” video_aspect_ratio=”16:9″ video_webm=”” video_mp4=”” video_ogv=”” video_preview_image=”” overlay_color=”” overlay_opacity=”0.5″ video_mute=”yes” video_loop=”yes” fade=”no” border_size=”0px” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” padding_top=”50px” padding_bottom=”80px” padding_left=”11.25%” padding_right=”11.25%” hundred_percent=”yes” equal_height_columns=”no” hide_on_mobile=”no” menu_anchor=”” class=”” id=””][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][fusion_title size=”1″ content_align=”left” style_type=”none” sep_color=”” margin_top=”” margin_bottom=”” class=”” id=””]
Click on Each Content to view Details
[/fusion_title][/fusion_builder_column][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][fusion_accordion divider_line=”” class=”” id=””][fusion_toggle title=”About the Ministry” open=”no”]The Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Taraba State, was established on the 27th of August 1991. The Ministry is currently headed by Dr David Ishaya Kassa as the Honourable Commissioner and Mr Isaac I.A Mela as the Permanent Secretary.
Functions of the Ministry
The Ministry was created primarily for the following functions:
- Advise Government on Agricultural matters.
- Implement Agricultural Development Projects/Programs on behalf of the Government.
- Provision of Farm Inputs.
- Agricultural Extension Work and Farmer Education.
- Preservation, Storage, Quality Control and Marketing of Agricultural Produce.
- Quality Control of Farm Produce to meet International Grades and Standards.
- Implementation of State Buffer Stock Programme.
- Pest Control Services.
- Agricultural Credit Administration.
- Agro Data Collection, Collation and Dissemination.
- Agricultural Mechanization.
- Agricultural Land Protection and Management.
- Promote Cultivation and Varietal Improvement of Crop.
- Promote Livestock Development and Veterinary Services.
- Manpower Development and Capacity Building.
Agencies under the Ministry
In order to achieve these functions effectively, the Ministry has five Agencies
- Taraba Agricultural Development Programme
- Tractor Hiring Unit
- Fadama 3 Development Programme
- College of Agriculture
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD).
Achievements of the Ministry:
The Ministry has achieved a lot since its inception, amongst these are few notable ones worth mentioning:
- Delivering 32,678MT of assorted fertiliser to 326,783 farmers.
- Purchase 1,200MT of Grains for the State Buffer Stock Programme.
- Established an Industrial Cotton Grinding Centre in Kurmi Local Government Area.
- Paid Counterpart Funds to FADAMA 2 (5,902,260). FADAMA 3 (46,400,000), and IFAD (37,000,000).
- Achieved 31.6% Recovery on the One Billion naira Commercial Loan.
- Procured 34ND assorted tractors and implements.
- Procured 20 million naira worth of assorted tractor spare parts.
- Procured 2 ND heavy Truck heads and 2ND low beds and backup pair.
- The ongoing Jalingo Abattoir.
- The ongoing Jalingo Green House Project.
- Won first prizes for Best Tuber captured fish and the overall 3rd best position during the last National Agriculture show in Abuja 2014.
Mr Isaac Iorrumun Akeso Mela was born on the 1 st of August 1957. He is an indigene of Takum Local Government Area and is married with three (3) children. He is the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources.
Mr Isaac began his education at NKST Transferred Primary School, Sai, from 1963 – 1968 where he got his first school leaving certificate. He attended Saint Peters Secondary School (presently) NKST Secondary School, Adikpo from 1971 – 1975 where he got his (WASC/GCE).
He furthered his education by studying at the Murtala College of Arts, Science and Technology, Makurdi from 1977 – 1979, and also Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, 1979 – 1982.
Mr Isaac is a Member Institute of Industrialists and Corporate Administrators and a fellow Institute of Industrialization and Corporate Affairs.
He has attended the following Workshops:
- Industrial Training Fund Workshop on Personnel Management, Yola 1995
- Administrative Staff College of Nigeria (ASCON), Topo Badagry, Workshop on Human Resource Management 1995.
- Advanced Financial Management 2011.
He published Effective Personnel Records Management, Adamawa Press Ltd, Yola June 1995.
His Hobbies are Reading and Farming.[/fusion_toggle][fusion_toggle title=”Directors” open=”no”]
Director – Administration and Secretary
Mr Alfred D. Usman, the Director, Administration and also the Secretary of the Ministry, was born on the 9th September 1958. He hails from Takum Local Government Area. He is married and has four children.
Mr Alfred went to school at Saint Joseph’s Primary School, Takum from January 1965-December 1972 and Saint Paul’s Catholic Secondary School, Wukari from January 1973-June 1977 for his Primary and Secondary education respectively.
He furthered his education at the College of Preliminary Studies Yola from October 1977-June 1979 and then at the University of Sokoto from October 1979- June 1982.
He enjoys listening to the Radio and Reading.
Director – Agricultural Services
AlhajiMusa had his early education from Local Education Authority (L.E.A) Primary School, Wukari West from 1963 where he got his primary school leaving certificate and Government College, Keffi, from 1970-1974 where he had his O-Level WASC. He furthered his education at the North-East College of Arts and Science/University of Maiduguri from, 1975-1977 where he got his A-level and Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria for BSc Agriculture from 1975-1981.
His professional achievements include:
- Project Supervisor, Lake Geriyo Irrigation Project Upper Benue River Basin Development Authority (UBRBDA) Yola. 1983-1985.
- Project Supervisor, Bali Project Upper Benue River Basin Development Authority (UBRBDA). 1985-1986.
- Takum Irrigation Project Upper Benue River Basin Development Authority (UBRBDA). 1986-1987.
- Northern Zone Project Upper Benue River Basin Development Authority (UBRBDA). 1987-1988.
- Project Manager, Mayo-Ine Project Nguroje Upper Benue River Basin Development Authority (UBRBDA). 1988-1999.
- Pioneer Zonal Manager, Taraba state Agricultural Development Programme (TADP) Zing. 1991-1993.
- Head of Extension, Agro Service National Agricultural Lan Development Authority (NALDA) (Federal Ministry of Agriculture). 1993-1997.
- Director, Agric. Service Ministry of Agriculture H/Q, Jalingo. 2014-date
- Secretary to Local Government 1997-2000.
- Secretary on Committee for Preparation of Blue Print for Implementation of Future Farmers Programme for Schools in Taraba State. 1991.
- Member State Special Agric. Project Coordinating Unit Office of the Governor (Government House Jalingo) 2005-2007.
- Member Technical Committee on Strategic Agriculture, Solid Mineral and Allied Development (Government House) 2008.
- Returning Officer for the House of Assembly Election, Posted to Lau 2003.
He enjoys sports.
Director – Engineering Service
Alhaji Mahmood Sabiu Bello is the Director, Engineering Services in the Ministry and was born on 27th July 1964. He is an indigene of Jalingo Local Government Area. He is married with Seven (7) children.
Alhaji Mahmood began his early education at Muhammed Nya Primary School Jalingo, from 1972-1978, and then proceeded to Government Science Secondary School from 1978-1983 for his O-levels. He further attended:
- College of Agriculture, Jalingo. 1984-1987.
- Kaduna Polytechnic. 1993-1994.
- Kaduna Polytechnic. 1994-1996.
- University of Calabar. 1999-2000
- National Open University of Nigeria. 2014-2016
Some of his notable Professional Achievements and Awards, Honours include:
- Director Engineering Services Ministry of Agric. Jalingo.
- Registered Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN).
- Nation PRO/Taraba Chairman, Nigerian Institute of Agric. Engineers (NIAE).
- Member, American Society of Agriculture and Biological Engineers (ASABE).
- Member, Canadian Society of Biological Engineers (CSBE).
- Member, Nigerian Institute of Agric. Engineers (NIAE).
- Member, Nigerian Association of Technologist in Engineering (NATE).
- Member, Administrative Staff College of Nigeria (ASCON). Alumni.
- Conferment of the Title of DRBIN Old Muri by His Royal Highness, Alhaji Abdullahi Mohammed Baba Chiroma (Chief of Old Muri Karim Lamido Local Government Area).
- Conferment of Title of RUWAITA Mambilla, by His Royal Highness Alhaji Dr Shehu Baju the Chief of Mambilla, Sardauna Local Government Area.
- Agricultural Equipment Technology Conference, Louisville, Kentucky (USA), from 10th– 12th February 2014.
- 23rd Engineering Assembly, Council for Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria 18th-20th August 2014.
- Canadian Society of Biological Engineers (CSBE)/American Society of Agriculture and Biological Engineers (ASABE) Joint International Conference/Workshop, Montreal Canada 14th-16th July 2014.
- 36th Annual Conference and Annual General Meeting (AGM) of Nigerian Institute of Agric. Engineers 12th-15th October 2014.
- 19th International Agric. Exhibition and Conference TLV Convention Centre, Tel Aviv, Israel 28th-30th October 2014.
- Annual Workshop and AGM of ASABE, New Orleans. Louisiana, USA 26th-29th July 2015.
- National Council of Agriculture (NCA) Abeokuta, Ondo State Nigeria 2013.
He enjoys lawn tennis, badminton, watching television programs and Traveling.
Director – Fisheries Services
Rimande Jwenra Txwarubur, the Director Fisheries Services in the Ministry, was born on the 23rd of March, 1963 and hails from Takum Local Government Area. He is married with Six (6) children.
He had his primary school education at Jenuwa Kogi Takum, from 1972-1978. He attended Mbiya Government Secondary School, Takum from 1979-1981 and Government Science Secondary School, Donga Local Government from 1981-1983 for his O-levels.
He attended the following higher institutions:
- Agricultural Training Centre, Mubi, Adamawa state – 1984.
- Taraba State College of Agriculture – 1991.
- Taraba State Polytechnic Jalingo – 2003.
- Federal University of Technology Yola, Adamawa State – 2011.
During which he bagged the following honours:
- Technology in Fisheries.
- National Diploma (ND) Engineering Technology.
- Certificate Computer Appreciation.
- Certificate in Agriculture and Extension Methods.
- Agricultural Produce Marketing Extension (Capacity Building Project).
- Growth Performance of Clarias Anguiliaries and Hetero-branchus Bidorsalis and their Hybrid Fry Fed Commercial and Compounded Feeds.
He enjoys fish farming and reading.
Director – Veterinary Services
Dr Nuhu M. Zaku, Director Veterinary Services in the Ministry was born on 15th November 1956 and hails from Ibbi Local Government Area. He is married with four (4)children.
He started his education at Local Education Authority (LEA) Primary Dampar from 1963 -1966 then went on to Local Education Authority (LEA) Senior Primary School, Ibbi 1967-1969 before proceeding to Wukari Division Combined Secondary School Takum from 1972-1976. He further attended School of Basic Studies, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria 1977 and Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria in 1986, where he bagged his Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM).
Dr Nuhu participated in the containment of Avian Influenza (Bird Flu) outbreak in Taraba State in 2006, involving Ibbi, Wukari, and Gassol Local Government Areas.
- Continuing Education Seminar on Emerging Trends in Veterinary Practice in Nigeria, held in Abuja, 18th August 2004.
- Stakeholders Training on Handling Livestock disease emergencies-Avian Influenza (Bird Flu), organised by Federal Department of Livestock and Pest Control Services, United State Agency for International Development (USAID), Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO), and International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD) held at Minna Niger State from 14th – 15th March 2006.
- Work Ethics and Productivity Improvement Workshop organised by Industrial Training Fund 18th July to 5th August 2011.
- Pharmacovigilance-Update Course Supported by Global Fund and organised by National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC).
Director – Produce Services
He started his early education at Eilas Primary School, Takum from 1970-1977, then proceeded to Government Secondary School Wukari, from 1977-1982 for his O’ Levels. He further attended the University of Maiduguri from 1982-1988.
- Latest Fumigation Method at the Federal University of Technology, Yola – 1994.
- Latest Storage Preservation Technology, the Federal University of Technology, Yola – 1993.
- Cassava Product Quality Makurdi 17th– 18th October 2004.
- Refresher Course Cassava Processing/Quality, Owerri.
He enjoys reading.
Director – Livestock Services
He started his education at Arufu Primary School Wukari from 1971-1976 before proceeding to Government Secondary School Wukari from 1976-1981, for his O levels. He further attended the University of Jos, Plateau State from 1981-9186.
Mr Danjuma is a Member, Nigerian Institute of Animal Science (Registered Animal Scientist, RAS) and also Member, Animal Science Association of Nigerian (MASAN).
- Prize for the Best Student at the University of Jos, Faculty of Agriculture 1985/1986.
- Best Farmer of the Year Taraba State under the Central Bank Agricultural Credit Guarantee Scheme Fund 2005.
- United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) TOT Course on small livestock Production at National Veterinary Research Institute (NVRI), Vom, Plateau State, 19th-22nd October 1992.
- Management of Development Organised by United Nations Development Program (UNDP)/ Statistical Process Control (SPC), Taraba Sate College of Education, Jalingo 27th October -7th November 1997.
- Work Ethics and Productivity Improvement Industrial Trust Fund, Yola Area Office 18th July-5th August 2013.
- DIY Artificial Insemination Course, Ashbrook Equine Hospital, Chisire, UK. 25th-29th November 2013.
Director – Planning and Research Statistics
He began his education at the Holy Ghost Primary School, Makurdi from 1965- 1966 he went to Saint Theresa’s Primary School, Jimeta 1967-1971 before proceeding to Government Secondary School Ganye 1972-1976. He further enrolled in NECAS/SBC Maiduguri 1976-1978 and University of Maiduguri 1978-1981.
- Sc. Agriculture (Hons.) Agriculture Economics – 1981.
- Planning Officer Two – 1982.
- Chief Agriculture Planning Officer – 1996.
- Assistant Director, Planning and Statistics – 1999.
- Director, Programmes – 2003.
- Director, Planning, Research and Statistics – 2016.
Other Achievements, Awards and Honours
- Best Extension Supervisor Award, Gongola Agriculture Development Programme (GADP) 1987.
- Sectorial Officer, Jalingo. 1987-1988.
- Area Officer, Gongola Agriculture Development Programme (GADP), Bali. 1989-1991.
- Zonal Manager, Taraba state Agriculture Development Programme (TADP) Zone Two 1992-1998, Zone Three 1998 -2005.
- Member, Taraba State Vision 20 20 Stakeholders Development Committee and Chairman of the Thematic Group on Agriculture and Food Security.
- Intensive Maize and Rice Production Training for Nigeria Agriculturalist Extensionists IITA Ibadan 1985.
- Extension Supervision Course ARMTI Ilorin 1985.
- Pre-Season Training Workshop Uru Agric. Makurdi 1991.
- Workshop on Unified Agric. Extension System (UAES) Supreme Konsult, Ibadan 1992.
- Management of Rural Development Course – Mananga Management Centre, Switzerland 1983.
He published “The Role of Agriculture in Economic Development ( a case study of Gongola State of Nigeria) 1981.
He enjoys reading and experiencing new adventures.
Director – Finance
He began his early education at Nguroje Primary School 1967-1973 then proceeded to Government Secondary School Gembu 1973-1978. He enrolled into the College of Preliminary Studies Yola 1978-1980 before furthering his studies at the Ahmadu Bello University 1980-1983. He is a Member of National Accountants of Nigeria (ANAN), and he possesses a Master in Business Admin (MBA).
He enjoys watching football.[/fusion_toggle][fusion_toggle title=”Past Commissioners” open=”no”]
|Alhaji Isa Musa||–|
|Mr Anthony Jellason||–|
|Mr Godwin Nyame||–|
|Mr Biyus Mubi Auta||–|
|Mr David Sati||–|
|Alhaji Umar I. Kotsa||–|
|Mr Emmanuel Bwacha||–|
|Dr E.A Bobzum||–|
|Mrs Rebecca Hamza||–|
|Hon Luka Zangyang||–|
|Mr Yakubu Tuktur||–|
[/fusion_toggle][fusion_toggle title=”Past Permanent Secretaries” open=”no”]
|Mr Tanko Orume||–|
|Mr Fidelis Bonjoru||–|
|Hon. Danbaba Danfulani Suntai||–|
|Mr Yohanna Bitrus||–|
|Alhaji Habu Sani||–|
|Mr Babale Maikidi||–|
|Mr Aboki Ali||–|
|Mr Joseph Machoko||–|
|Alhaji Usman Kona||–|
[/fusion_toggle][/fusion_accordion][fusion_separator style_type=”none” top_margin=”” bottom_margin=”” sep_color=”” border_size=”” icon=”” icon_circle=”” icon_circle_color=”” width=”” alignment=”” class=”” id=””/][/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]