Ministry of Commerce, Trade and IndustryClick on the Downward Arrow to View Details
About This Page
This page consists of all infomation about the Ministry of Commerce, Trade and Industry ranging from its functions, present and past Commissioners, Present and past Permanent Secretaries and Agencies under the Ministry.
About the Ministry
The Ministry of Commerce and Industry was established in 1999, and currently under the leadership of Hon. Yusuf Tanimu Njeke as Commissioner and Com. Aliyu Umar Njeke as Permanent Secretary.
Functions/Achievements of the Ministry
The following are the functions of the Ministry;
- Formulation and implementation of government policies on commerce and industry.
- Registration of business and business premises.
- Facilitation of the growth of the private sector in the state.
- Supervision and or management of government industries and industrial parastatals.
- Promotion of the development of industries in the State.
- Conducting feasibility studies to determine the viability of industrial projects initiated by government.
- Coordination of trade activities in the State.
- Compilation and publication of trade directory and dissemination of trade information.
- Conducting research on market activities and market survey.
- Compilation of trade statistics.
- Checking trade malpractices, in conjunction with consumer protection council.
- Organising State participation in trade fairs, exhibition and trade missions.
- Liaising with Federal Ministry of Industry, trade and investment of matters relating to trade.
- Business legislation, bi-lateral and multi-lateral trade associations and agreements.
The achievements of the Ministry are as follows;
- Incorporation of Taraba Sugar Company LTD, Lau.
- Construction of Jalingo Main Market.
- Construction of Jalingo trade fair complex.
- Participation in the international trade fairs in Kaduna, Abuja and Kano.
- Participation and hosting of the north-east joined domestic trade in the year 2000.
- Participation in a trade mission in China in April, 2014.
- Participation in the Northern States
- Investment Forum organised by Nigerian Embassy in Washington and the US Embassy in Abuja.
- Yearly participation in the National Council on industry, trade and investment meetings.
- Participation in doing business in Nigeria survey: Right of Reply Session organised by World Bank and International Finance Coorporation, IFC.
- Facilitated the implementation of the NNPC/Capital oil Kero direct scheme in the state.
- Facilitation of the monitoring of sales and distribution of petroleum product in the state.
- Acquisition of a proposed industry lay-out at Tashan Nyamu village, Ardo-Kola LGA.
- Creation of awareness on export business through the state export promotion committee in collaboration with Nigeria Export Promotion Council.
Agencies Under the Ministry
List of Agencies under the Ministry include:
- Taraba State Agency on Small and Medium scale enterprises.
- Baissa Timber Company Limited, Baissa.
- NNPC and Capital Oil Kero Direct Scheme.
The Honorable Commissioner
Hon. Yusuf began his educational pursuit at Mayondagu Central Primary School in 1979, where he enrolled into government Teachers’ College Gembu in 1986 after which he proceeded to the National Teachers Institute, Kaduna between 2009 – 2012 where he obtained his NCE in Integrated Science.
Workshops attended include;
Modules on Synergy of Public Servant and Political officeholders: A guide to Public Service and performance. Taraba State University, Jalingo. 9th – 14th December 2020.
His Political Appointment Include;
Councilor Mayondaga ward 2011-2012.
Special Assistant to His Excellency, 2016 – 2019.
Commissioner, 2019 – date.
The Permanent Secretary
Information coming soon.
1. Alhaji Iliyasu Mohammed Ajibu.
Past Permanent Secretaries
1. Aliyu Njike.