Ministry of Education (Tertiary)
Click on Each Plus Sign to View the Details
[/fusion_title][/fusion_builder_column][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ layout=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding_top=”” padding_right=”” padding_bottom=”” padding_left=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none” last=”no” hover_type=”none” link=”” border_position=”all”][fusion_accordion type=”” boxed_mode=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” background_color=”” hover_color=”” divider_line=”” title_font_size=”” icon_size=”” icon_color=”” icon_boxed_mode=”” icon_box_color=”” icon_alignment=”” toggle_hover_accent_color=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” class=”” id=””][fusion_toggle title=”About the Ministry” open=”no” class=”” id=””]
The Ministry of Education was established in August 1991 and is presently under the leadership of Jigem L. Johanes as Commissioner.
Below are the list of Boards and Parastatals under the Ministry;
- Taraba State University, Jalingo.
- College of Education, Zing.
- Taraba State Polytechnic, Suntai.
- Post Primary Schools Management Board, Jalingo.
- Taraba State Universal Basic Education Board, Jalingo.
- Taraba State Mass Education Board, Jalingo.
- Library Board, Jalingo.
- Taraba State Scholarship Board, Jalingo.
Directors in the Ministry
- Bala N. Fwadu Administration
- Samsom N. Ada Quality Assurance Service
- Mani D. Kamai Plan, Research and Statistics
- Mustapha M. Buhari Education Resource Centre
- Bakari Sanada Primary & Sec Education
- Peter J. Buba Science & Tech. Education
- Ezekiel S. Kwambo Higher Educ & Scholarship
- Joshua A. Yamusa Sport & Physical
Achievements of the Ministry
- Regular payment of salaries to the staff of the Ministry N71, 718, 799. 40.
- Monthly feeding subvention to Exchange Programme colleges – Government Comprehensive Secondary School, Jalingo and Marmara Government Girls Secondary School, Wukari – N14, 564,000. 00.
- Registration of WAEC examination 2016 for students of Special Education Centre Mutum-Biyu/Garbabi and exchange students. – N13, 661. 00.
- Transportation of students on Exchange Programme – N16, 961, 200.00.
- Restructuring /Renovation of WAEC Office in Jalingo and the purchase of 406 Peugeot Wagon for WAEC office in Taraba state –N7, 000,000.00.
- Presentation of Education sector plan and annual schools census –N 17,136,240.00
- Conveyance of Mass Education Board Material from Abuja to Jalingo for kumbo, Donga Local Government Area.
- Approval and acceptance for Gechan [NGO] in collaboration with JAMB office /MOE to set up JAMB centre in Gembu. What a good news to the people of Sardauna and her environs.
- Training of 100 youth in Israel for employment/empowerment.
In his second term in Office, the Executive Governor, Arch. Darius Dickson Ishaku divided the Ministry into two separate entity in order to meet the intention of his rescue administration.
The two newly formed Ministries are;
- Ministry of Basic and Secondary School Education, and
- Ministry of Tertiary Education.
[/fusion_toggle][fusion_toggle title=”Commissioner” open=”no” class=”” id=””]
Commissioner for Education (Tertiary)
Commissioner for Basic And Secondary Education
The Hon. Commissioner, Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education, Jigem H. Johanes, hails from Sardauna Local Government and was born 25th March 1963. He is married with four (4) children.
He began his Educational career at Mbamnga Central Primary School from 1973 to 1978. He proceeded for his Post-Primary Education at Government Teachers College, Gembu from 1978 – 1983. He proceeded further to College of Education Hong, Gongola state from 1984 – 1987 and the University of Calabar for his first degree from 1989 – 1991.e is a Member of Teachers Council of Nigeria.
Mr. Jigem Johanes is a Member of Teachers Council of Nigeria.
Awards and Honours
- Achievers Award Taraba State.
- Sardauna Youth Forum Certificate of recognition and hard work.
- Commendation by the State P.D.P chairman for hard work and physical development.
- Commendation for P.T. A activities by Taraba State Teaching Service Board.
- Best Evangelist – Nigerian Christian Corpers Fellowship, Port-Harcourt in 1991.
He has attended the following workshops to enhance his performance on the job.
- All Nigeria Conference of Principals of Secondary School (ANCOPSS) Professional Continuous Mandatory Training workshop in Gombe – November 2005.
- HIV prevention for Orphans and Vulnerable Childcare Training – Nov. 2008.
- All Nigeria Conference of Principals of Secondary School (ANCOPSS) National Conference from 1995 – 2014.
- National sensitization workshop on promoting Mambilla Plateau as a tourist destination in 2008.
- Drug Abuse Enlightenment Workshop by the National Drugs Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Gembu.
He was appointed as Commissioner of Education.
- Jigem Johannes: The development of the Highland Tea on the Mambilla Plateau. College of Education Hong in 1986 – 1987.
- Jigem Johannes: The Effect of Counselling on Career Choice Among Students. A case study of Gembu town in Gongola state – 1991 (University of Calabar).
His hobbies are Teaching, Hunting, and Reading.
[/fusion_toggle][fusion_toggle title=”Permanent Secretary” open=”no” class=”” id=””]
The Permanent Secretary (Tertiary Education)
Mr. Henry LackMbam Aleng was born on 10th march 1964. He hails from Sardauna L.G.A and is married with five children.
Mr. Henry began his educational pursuit at Ndum-Yaji Primary School, Sardauna LGA from 1972 – 1978. He later enrolled into Government Secondary School Gembu between 1978 – 1980 and also attended Government Science Secondary School Donga LGA from 1981 – 1983 after which he proceeded to the College of Preliminary Studies, Yola between 1984 – 1986. He later attended the School of Health Technology, Mubi from 1986 – 1989 and proceeded to the Federal Training Centre for Teachers of Health Science at the University Teaching Hospital, Ibadan where he obtained a Diploma (EHOT Diploma) between 1996 – 1997. He furthered his educational pursuit by enrolling into the University of Nigeria (UNN) where he obtained a B.Sc. HED between 2000 – 2003 and went for his Masters in Health Management at Benue State University between 2012 – 2013.
His Professional Achievements include;
- Environmental Health Officer (Environmental Technologist)
- Health Education (Educationist)
- Health Management (Health Manager)
Other Achievements include;
- Head of Department, Environmental Health, 2003 – 2006, 2012 -2014, 2015 – 2017; Taraba state College of Health.
- Deputy Provost Academic, Taraba state College of Health Technology, 2014 – 2015.
- Deputy Provost Administration, 2019.
Workshops attended include;
- Environmental Health Officers National Conference – Yola. October 1988.
- Environmental Health Officers National Conference, Damaturu – Yobe state. October 2010.
- State Workshop on National Immunization organized by W.H.O in Jalingo.
- Curriculum Drafting Workshop – Keffi, Nasarawa state. Organized by West Africa Health Examination Board. 2014.
Publications of Mr. Henry include;
- Introduction to Circulatory System for Health Workers. 2005
- Fundamental of Environmental Health and Allied Courses. 2006
- Contemporary Environmental Health Issues with Questions and Answers. Volume 1 and 2. 2006
- Principles of Disease Control and Epidemiology – 2008.
- Introduction to Immunity and Immunology – 2012.
Permanent Secretary (Basic and Secondary School Education)
[/fusion_toggle][fusion_toggle title=”Past Commissioners” open=”no” class=”” id=””]
Ambassador Emmanuel Quiltomi Njiwah
Hon. Johanes Jigem. 2015 – 2019.
[/fusion_toggle][fusion_toggle title=”Past Permanent Secretaries” open=”no” class=”” id=””]
Ada N. Samson
[/fusion_toggle][fusion_toggle title=”Agencies/Boards Under the Ministry” open=”no”]
- Taraba State University (TSU).
- College of Education (COE) – Zing.
- Taraba State Polytechnic – Suntai.
- Post Primary School Management Board.
- Taraba State Universal Basic Education Board (TSUBEB).
- Mass Education Board.
- Library Board.
- Scholarship Board.
- College of Agriculture (COA).