Ministry of HealthClick on the Downward Arrow to View Details
About This Page
This page consists of all infomation about the Ministry of Health ranging from its functions, present and past Commissioners, present and past Permanent Secretaries and Agencies under the Ministry.
About the Ministry
The Ministry of Health was established on August 1991 and is presently under the leadership of Dr. Innocent Vakkai as its Honourable Commissioner.
Functions/Achievements of the Ministry
The Ministry is saddled with the following responsibilities;
- Protecting the health of the citizens of the state.
- Provide health promotion, prevention and curative services.
- Formulate health policies.
- Regulate activities of public and private sectors health care providers.
- Ensure that health activities meet national and international standards.
- Collaborate with Training Institutions on manpower (Human Resources for Health) needs in the state.
Achievements of the Ministry
- Immunisation programmes with wide coverage.
- Mobile Health Clinic (Partnership between the state and MTN).
- Temporary Accreditation of College of Nursing and Midwifery by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (NMCN).
- Renovation and equipping of Gen. T.Y. Danjuma Health Centre, Takum.
- Containment of Lassa fever outbreak.
Assessment of some General/Referral Hospitals for planned renovation and equipping.
Agencies Under the Ministry
Agencies under the Ministry are as follows;
- State Primary Health Care Development Agency.
- Health Services Management Board.
- Taraba AIDS Control Agency.
- Essential Drugs Programme.
- College of Nursing and Midwifery, Jalingo.
- College of Health Technology, Takum.
The Honorable Commissioner
The Honorable Commissioner, Dr. Bodia Gbansheya Buma.
Profile coming soon.
The Permanent Secretary
Dr. Ebenezer Koku Apake, the Permanent Secretary Ministry of Health was born on the 1st October 1964 and hails from Wukari LGA. He is married with four children.
Dr. Ebenezer began his educational pursuit at Shehu Garbai Primary School Maiduguri from 1971-1973 and LEA Primary School Makurdi in 1974, also Hwolshe Giring Primary School, Jos from 1975-1977, he enrolled into Mbiya Government Secondary School Takum from 1977-1982 he proceeded to ABU Zaria from 1982-1988 continued from 2005-2006.
MBBS Degree 1976.
Masters in Public Health (MPH) 2010.
He likes reading and listening to music.
Past Commissioners Ministry of Health
|1.||Dr. Innocent Vakkai||2015 - 2023|
|2.||Dr. Tafarki Agbadu||2014 - 2015|
|3.||Pharm. Oliver Wubon||2013 - 2014|
|4.||Prince Mustapha Hamangbdo||2011 - 2013|
|5.||Hon. Muhammed Yusuf||2009|
|6.||Hon. David Tikon||2009|
|7.||Hon. Mark B. Useni||2007 - 2008|
|8.||Dr. Jonah Wachap||2005 - 2006|
|9.||Dr. Markus Hamidu||2006 - 2007|
|10.||Pharm. Danbaba Suntai||2004 - 2005|
|11.||Dr. Philip Duwe||2000 - 2003|
|12.||Barr. Sam Tsokwa||1999 - 2000|
|13.||Dr. Anthony G. Manzo|
|14.||Dr. Alfred Yahaya Kobiba||1993|
|15.||Dr. Peter G. Warwar||1992 - 1993|
Past Permanent Secretaries
|Pharmacist Ibrahim Imam||-|
|1.||Mr. Boliga Sanda||2014|
|2.||Dr. Philip Duwe||2011|
|3.||Dr. Simion Ambita’a||2006-2011|
|4.||Engr. Bakari Yero||2005-2006|
|5.||Dr. Hamidu Moh’d||2000-2005|
|6.||Mr. Joshua Musa||1999-2000|
|7.||Mrs. Yelwa H. Mbura||1996-1999|
|8.||Mr. Ezekiel B. Adashu||1994-1996|
|9.||Mrs. Veronica Umar||1992-1994|
|10.||Alh. Shehu Mohammed||1991-1992|