Taraba Aids Control Agency (TACA)Click on the Downward Arrow to View Details
About This Page
This page contains information about the Agency, functions/achievements of the Agency, Profile of the Director General and table showing the list of previous Director Generals.
Taraba State AIDS Control Agency (TACA) was established on 3rd March, 2010 and is currently under the leadership of a Director General.
Departments in the Agency are given below;
- Treatment, Care and Support
- Secretary/Director Administration
- Planning, Monitoring and Research
- Communication and Mobilization
- Prevention and Health Promotion
Functions of the Agency
The Functions of the Agency include;
- Design, coordinate and implement state action plans for the prevention and control of HIV/AIDS.
- Design and prosecute an intense multi-sectorial approach to HIV/AIDS prevention and control.
- Provide Technical support to the planning, implementation and management of HIV/AIDS to line ministries, NGOs, CBOs and LACA.
- Provide necessary support to other stakeholders in their efforts to prevent and control HIV/AIDS.
- Coordinate an annual centurial surveillance on the incidence and prevalence of HIV/AIDS and promote operational research on intervention strategies.
- Encourage multi-disciplinary, collaboration and networking among all stakeholders including civil society organizations against HIV/AIDS.
- Organize training of personnel involved in the control and prevention of HIV/AIDS at all Levels.
- Implement all decisions of the State Council on AIDS (SCA) and produce quarterly reports on HIV/AIDS prevention and control activities to the SCA.
Achievements of the Agency
The achievements of the Agency include;
- The transition of the organization from State Action Committee on AIDS (SACA) to TACA facilitate funding from outside organization such as World Bank, WHO, UNICEF etc.
- Reconstitution, inauguration and reactivation of 16 LACAs to coordinate HIV/AIDS activities in the 16 LGAs.
- Effective coordination of activities of partners working on HIV/AIDS through quarterly partner’s forum.
- Successful development of HIV/AIDS State Strategic Plan SSP (2010-2015) to guide HIV/AIDS activities implementation.
- Consistently marked annual World AIDS Day (WAD) to create awareness and demand for HCT/PMTCT among Tarabans.
- Supported the conduct of National HIV/AIDS Reproductive Health Survey (NARHS) and Integrated Biological and Behavioral Surveillance Survey (IBBSS) in Taraba state.
- Supported state wide Mapping of MOST AT RISK POPULATION (MARPS) conducted by Society for Family Health (SFH).
- Mapping and development of Data Base of CSOs working on HIV/AIDS in Taraba state.
- Engagement of 17 CSOs currently working on various thematic areas of HIV/AIDS across the state.
- Provision of school materials to over 1,000 orphans and vulnerable children (OVC); Distribution of income generating activities to caregivers.
- Prevention of Mother to child Transmission of HIV (PMTCT).
- HIV Counseling and testing; General population – 50,000; Female Sex Workers (FSW) – 500; Long Distance Drivers (LDD) – 900.
- Increased the number of persons receiving treatment from 17,000 in 2010 to over 35,000 by June, 2015.
- Supported partners with test Harmonized HIV/AIDS state Budget; production of quarterly TACA Bulletin (News); construction of TACA office complex, work reached 95%.
The Director General
The Director General Taraba State Aids Control Agency (TACA), Dr. Garba Danjuma, was born on the 2nd January 1970 and hails from Lau LGA . He is married with six children and loves tourism and football.
Dr. Danjuma began his educational pursuit at Mohammed Nya Primary School Jalingo from 1976-1982 where he enrolled into Govt. Science Secondary School Jalingo from 1983-1987.
Later he proceeded to the University of Maiduguri, from 1987-1997 for his MBBS. He later proceeded to the University of Leeds UK from 2008-2009 for his MPH. He also attended Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital in the year 2012-2018.
Achievements of the DG include;
- Consultant of Public Health Physician.
- Chairman, Nigerian Medical Association Taraba State 2010-2012.
- President, Association of Resident Doctors Taraba State.
He has also received awards as listed below;
- Gold Award (D’Linga) by Corporate Media African Communication ltd.
- Award of Excellence by National Association of Taraba State Medical Student.
- Merit Certificate for Destination A1 National PBF course by World Bank.
- Icon of Humanitarian Service Leadership Award by the NE Students.
He has also attended workshops such as;
- The World Bank Procurement Workshop 2000-2002 Abuja.
- Advanced Goods Equipment Procurement Workshop Durban South Africa 2002.
- Works and Consultant Service Workshop Gimpa, Ghana 2005.
- Procurement and Financial Management in Health Care Projects Reston, VA, USA.
- Project Management and Leadership Program Dubai UAE November 2005.
- World hepatitis Summit Brazil 2017.
- Leadership and Management in Health 2020 February USA.
Dr. Danjuma was appointed as the Director General TACA on 6th February 2020.
His Publications includes;
- Demographic Survey Of Risk Factors Associated with the Causation of Carcinoma of the Cervix MB, BS Project Submitted to the Department of Community Medicine University of Maiduguri Nigeria 1996.
- The Contribution of Motivation of Health Management Information System Staff to Data Quality in Taraba State-Nigeria, Masters Dissertation Submitted to the University of Leeds England 2009.
- The Significant of Personal and Environmental Hygiene in the Maiden Edition of National association of Taraba State Medical and Dental Students Magazine May 2010.
- Report of Cholera outbreak Investigation in Lau, Lau Local Government Area Taraba State Presented at the end of NFELTP Course Sponsored by CDC on 3rd June 2010.
- Private Medical Providers Knowledge and Practices Concerning Medical Abortion in Nigeria, Studies in Family Planning, Volume 42 number 1March 2011.
- Outcome of an Intervention to improve the Quality of Private Sector Provision of Post Abortion Care in Northern Nigeria, International Journal of Gynecology Obstetrics, pp. 57-63, 2012.
- Analysis of Factors Influencing Involvement of Young Girls as Female Sex Workers (FSW) in Jalingo, Taraba State Implication for Agricultural Productivity.
- Assessment of Risk Factors and Uptake of Hepatitis B&C Vaccine among Female Sex Workers in Jalingo, Northeastern Nigeria (Poster Presentation at World Hepatitis Summit 2017, Sao Paulo Brazil).
- Determinants of Hepatitis B&C Testing and Uptake of Hepatitis B vaccination among Pregnant Women attending Antenatal Clinic in Jalingo, Taraba State, Nigeria (ABSTRACT African Hepatitis Summit June 2019, Uganda).
- Achieving the first 90 Targets among Youths in a High HIV Prevalence Settings in Northeast Nigeria. A call for Action (ABSTRACT presented at the International Conference of Aids and STIs in Africa –ICASA, Kigali Rwanda).
List of Previous Director Generals
|1.||Mrs. Suzy J. Nathan||October 2014-November 2014
|2.||Dr. Siman S. Ambita’a ||June 2011-October 2014|
|3.||Dr. Philip D. Duwe ||July 2006-June 2011|
|4.||Sir Columba C. Tari||2001-2006|