Ministry of JusticeClick on the Downward Arrow to View Details
About This Page
This page consists of all infomation about the Ministry of Justice ranging from its functions, present and past Commissioners, Present and past Permanent Secretaries and Agencies under the Ministry.
About the Ministry
The Ministry of Justice was established on 27th August 1991 and is currently headed by Hon. (Chief) Samuel Baba Adda as Commissioner.
Functions/Achievements of the Ministry
The Ministry was designed primarily for the following functions:
- Rendering legal advice to the Government.
- Rendering legal advice to the Police.
- Rendering legal advice to M.D.A’s (Ministries, Departments and Agencies).
- Prosecution for and on behalf of the State.
- Defending Government in all suits filed by an individual or corporate bodies.
- Litigation and general practice.
- Drafting legal documents.
- Representation at ministerial tender boards.
Agencies Under the Ministry
None for now.
The Honorable Commissioner
Hon. (Chief) Samuel Baba Adda was born on 1st November 1957. He hails from Takum L.G.A and is married with six children.
Ho. Adda began his educational pursuit at Local Education Primary School, Jenuwa Kogi from 1967 – 1972 and enrolled into Wukari Division Combined Secondary School from 1973 – 1977 after which he proceeded to School of Basic Studies, University of Maiduguri from 1977 – 1978 and also attained his LL.B Hons from same University from 1978 – 1982. He also attended Nigeria Law School, Lagos from 1982 – 1983.
His professional achievements include;
- Handled cases in all the courts of the land.
- Handled election matters in election tribunals successfully.
- He has chaired a rent Tribunal Sitting in Gembu, Sardauna LGA in the old Gongola state.
- He has successfully arbitrated in matters in the course of his practice as a lawyer.
His other achievements include;
- Distinguished himself in debates of the floor of the house of assembly, Jalingo when he was a member from 1999 – 2003.
- Recipient of several awards and honors.
Hon. Adda has attended numerous workshops during the course of time and has attained several political appointments which include;
- Member, Taraba state House of Assembly, Jalingo.
- Secretary, Taraba state Tourism Board.
- Special Adviser to the Governor of Taraba state on Legislative and Legal Matters.
- Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice.
He has numerous publications.
The Hon. Commissioner likes swimming, debating and tourism.
The Permanent Secretary
Apwenyang began his educational pursuit at local education Authority primary school Rufu from 1968-1974, where he enrolled in to Government secondary school Takum between 1974-1979, he proceeded to the university of Maiduguri between 1980-1984,where he obtained his LL.B (Hons.),he later proceeded to Nigerian law school V.I. Lagos between 1984-1985,after then he proceeded to Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria for his masters in internal Affairs and Diplomacy.
– Diligent prosecution of criminal cases.
– Diligent handling of some civil cases.
– Commendation letter (MOJ/PER/8/VOL.11/78 of 27/2/2014.
– Workshop on enhancing efficient public procurement practice 25-29-Nov.2019.
– Industrial Training Fund; Work Ethics & Productivity Improvement Workshop. 18 July – 5 August 2011.
– A 2- day workshop on electronic evidence practice in Nigeria Nov. 2019.
– Jalingo classis 2009 church workers workshop from 15 to 16 October 2009.
– Chartered institute of Arbitrators; Associate membership course 8-10
– Special Policy Summit/Workshop on Criminal Justice Reforms Umuahia, June 2-6-2014.
– Citizenship and Leadership Training Centre 18-19 Sept. 2002.
– Member on a five-man white paper drafting committee on the recent ethno-religions crisis between communities in Ibi and wukari local government areas. 30 Oct. 2013.
– Member, Board of Survey Committee on 31 Aug. 1994.
– Member, Governing Council College of Nursing and Midwifery from
14 March 2017.
|1.||Mr. Yusuf Nya Akirikwen ESQ|
|2.||Barr. Ahmed Umaru |
|3.||Barr. Musa A Tende |
|4.||Barr. G T Kataps |
|5.||Barr. Sa’adatu M Bello|
|6.||Barr. I.T Elsudi ||2010 – 2011|
|7.||Barr. Ilesha Nyaro||2007 – 2009|
|8.||Barr. G.T Kataps ||2003 – 2007|
|9.||Barr. Batsheba Y. Riki ||2001 – 2003|
|10.||Barr. A.I Rudanyuba||1999 – 2001
|11.||Barr. Aisha J Bage ||1998 – 1999|
|12.||Barr. Moh’d Baba Dada||1993 – 1996
|13||Barr. Yusuf Aliyu||1991 – 1993|
Past Permanent Secretaries
|1.||Barr. Magaji Aji ||2014 – 2019|
|2.||Barr. Bakari M. Isa ||2012 – 2014|
|3.||Barr. Magaji Aji ||2007 – 2012|
|4.||Barr. Bakari M. Isa ||1997 – 2007|
|5.||Barr. Mike Nyam ||1994 – 1997|
|6.||Barr. Yakubu Tukura||1991 – 1992|