Ministry of Youth and SportsClick on the Downward Arrow to View Details
About This Page
This page consists of all infomation about the Ministry of Youth and Sports ranging from its functions, present and past Commissioners, Present and past Permanent Secretaries and Agencies under the Ministry.
About the Ministry
The Ministry of Youth and Sports was established on the 2nd of July, 2004 and is currently under the leadership of Honorable Ibrahim Adam Imam as Commissioner.
Functions/Achievements of the Ministry
Functions of the Ministry
- It mobilises, coordinates, monitors and supervises the participation of youths in activities at the Federal, State and Local Government levels.
- Registers voluntary organisations and gives grants to those who have designed activities.
- Coordinates the activities of the State National Youth service Corp (NYSC) and serve as Chairman/Member of the Governing Board of the NYSC.
- Designs, organises State/National youth programmes e.g Youth summit, seminars, conferences, workshops and trainings.
- Design/implement activities, programmes and projects aimed at Youth empowerment.
- Promotes Sports development/ sporting activities generally across the State and particularly among the youths.
- Promotes activities and programmes geared towards imparting good conduct, good behaviour, leadership qualities etc in the State.
- Coordinates activities of all youth organisations in the State.
Achievements of the Ministry:
Achievements of the Ministry include;
- Construction of an Ultra-Modern Stadium (Jolly Nyame Stadium, Jalingo).
- Established a data bank of unemployed youths in the State.
- Hosted the first State youth holiday camping in the State.
- Hosted the first International Youth Week/Youth Day celebration in the State.
In collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Youth, trained some youths in skills acquisition/empowered them to start their own businesses.
- F.C. Taraba was promoted to play and participate in the prestigious Premier League in 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 league seasons.
- Taraba Queens F.C was also promoted and participated in the Premier League in 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 league seasons.
- Two Tarabans emerged Continental Champions in Africa in Badminton/Lawn Tennis.
- Two Tarabans represented Africa at International competitions in Badminton/Lawn Tennis.
- Five F.C Taraba players were taken to Europe and have secured clubs.
Agencies Under the Ministry
- Taraba State Sports Council (TSC).
The Honorable Commissioner
The Honorable Commissioner is Hon. Ibrahim Adam Imam.
The Permanent Secretary
Mr. Daniel E. Atenji was born on 15th February 1963. He hails from Takum L.G.A and is married with five children.
Mr. Henry began his educational pursuit at EKAS Trans School, Takum from 1970 – 1976 and later enrolled into Mbiya Government Secondary School Takum between 1976 – 1981. Between 1981 – 1983, he attended C.P.S, Yola where he sat for IJMB and then proceeded to ABU Zaria to obtain his Bachelor of Science (Hons.) in Geography from 1983 – 1986. He again attended Kaduna Polytechnic between 1993/1994 to get his Advance Certificate in Land Survey and proceeded to the Federal School of Surveying, Oyo to obtain his Post Graduate in GIS between 2000/2001 and obtained yet again his Post Graduate Diploma in Surveying and Geoinformatics and a Master of Technology in Surveying and Geoinformatics from Modibbo Adama University of Technology (MAUTECH) between 2014 – 2018
His Professional Achievements include;
- Taraba state Team Leader on Taraba/Plateau Boundary Demarcation.
Mr. Daniel enjoys reading.
|Serial Number||Previous Commissioners||Duration|
|1.||Hon. Pst. Gambo Ude Indafo||2015 - 2019|
|2.||Mr. Sadiq Nuhu Bullow||2014-2015|
|3.||Alh. Abdulhadi H. Lau||2011-2014|
|4.||Alh. Danladi M. Gwampo||2007-2011|
|5.||Alh. Tukur Lamido||2004-2007|
Past Permanent Secretaries
|Serial Numbers||Previous Permanent Secretaries||Duration|
|1.||Mr. Daniel E. Atenji||2015 - 2019|
|2.||Mal. Husseini A. Modibo||2011-2015|
|3.||Mr. Augustine Saumam||2010-2011|
|4.||Alh. Habu Sani Kona||2008-2010|
|5.||Alh. Ayuba Zakku||2006-2008|
|6.||Mr. Cletus Wui||2005-2006|
|7.||Alh. Tanimu Gado||2004-2005|