Ministry of Cooperatives and Poverty AlleviationClick on the Downward Arrow to View Details
About This Page
This page consists of all infomation about the Ministry of Cooperatives and Poverty Alleviation ranging from its functions, present and past Commissioners, present and past Permanent Secretaries and Agencies under the Ministry (if any).
About the Ministry
The Ministry of Cooperatives and Poverty Alleviation was established on July, 2007.
Functions/Achievements of the Ministry
Functions of the Ministry are as follows:
- Planning, formulation and execution of Policies and Programmes aimed at Poverty reduction and Job Creation in the State.
- Economic empowerment through Poverty Alleviation Programmes to the teaming population of Taraba State.
- Provision of self-employment opportunities through Skills Acquisition Training Programmes.
- Community development through mass mobilisation of the State populace to form viable Cooperative societies to enable them benefit from Government and Donor Agencies Programmes.
- Liaising with Donor and Federal Government Agencies on Poverty Alleviation Programmes under the Central Bank, Bank of Industry etc.
- Registration, Supervision and Education of Cooperative Societies.
- Technical Assessment and Advice on Cooperative projects.
- Organization of Cooperative Groups for farming and provision of Farm inputs.
- Disbursement of Skills Acquisition materials/equipment.
The following are achievements of the Ministry:
- Trained and empowered 240 Youths, Women and Handicaps in different Arts, Crafts and Trades in 2007/2008.
- Trained and empowered (with Kits and working capital) 1,000 youths, women and disabled in 2009/2010. Most of the beneficiaries are now self-employed and have become employers of labour in their various fields of specialization.
- The Ministry has registered more than three thousand Cooperative Societies and about 240 of them have been captured into the Cooperative Data Analysis System (CODAS) introduced by the Federal Government.
- The Taraba State Government, through the Ministry, has disbursed the sum of Forty Million Naira (N40, 000, 000.00) to a Micro Finance Bank (AMAZON Integrated Services Ltd) to lend out to women, youths and other vulnerable groups in the State as revolving fund from 2007 to date.
- The State Government has contributed, through the Ministry, a matching fund of Three Hundred and Fifty Million Naira to the Bank of Industry to raise a fund of Seven Hundred Million Naira to be loaned out to the indigenes of Taraba State for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development in the State.
- The Ministry has facilitated the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Taraba State Government and the Bank of Industry in respect of the TRSG-BOI Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Fund in Taraba State.
- Successful organisation of Sensitization/Training workshop for Applicants of the TRSG-BOI Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Fund facilities in 2015.
- Renovation of some dilapidated Offices in the Ministry and the successful flag-off for the disbursement of the TRSG-BOI Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development fund in 2016.
Agencies Under the Ministry
The Honorable Commissioner
The Permanent Secretary
Information coming soon.
|1||Hon. Abba Akawu Zagha||2015 - 2019|
|2||Hon. Ibrahim Ishaya Etsu||2012 - 2014|
|3||Hon. Isa Musa||2011 - 2012|
|4.||Hon. Danfulani A. Kwetaka||2007 - 2011|
Past Permanent Secretaries
|1||Mr. Ayuba Inyag||September-November, 2014.|
|2||Alh. Aminu Mohammed Karim||May-September, 2014.|
|3||Mr. Vincent V. Yakubu||2013-May, 2014.|
|4||Barr. Bakari M. Isa||2012-2013.|
|5||Mr. Emmanuel E. Ebobe||2010-2012.|
|6||Mrs. Asabe Maiangwa||2007-2010.|