Ministry of Environment and SanitationClick on the Downward Arrow to View Details
About This Page
This page consists of all infomation about the Ministry of Environment and Sanitation ranging from its functions, present and past Commissioners, Present and past Permanent Secretaries and Agencies under the Ministry.
About the Ministry
Ministry of Environment was created in the year 2000 with the aim of formulating and implementing government policies on environment and has Alhaji Ibrahim Lawal as its Present Commissioner. The Ministry since its inception had 8 Commissioners and 7 Permanent Secretaries.
MThe Ministry also has 5 Directors in its department and one Agency.
Functions/Achievements of the Ministry
Functions of the Ministry includes the following:
- Control and management of wildlife.
- Environmental Protection.
- Monitoring of Hazardous and Radioactive Materials in the Environment.
- Control of mining its illegal activities in the State.
- Establishment and maintenance of forest plantations.
- Raising of seedlings, planting and weeding.
- Solid minerals exploration and exploitation.
- Management of air, water and soil quality against pollution and degradation.
Achievements of the Ministry
- Confiscation and arrest of one Hundred and Ninety-Eight chainsaws used in the exploitation of Forest Reserves in the State by Forestry Department.
- Improved the revenue generation by the activities of Forestry from June 2015 to March 2016 amounting to Six Hundred and Eight Million, Nine Hundred and Forty-One Thousand, Eight Hundred Naira. (681, 941,800).
- Identification of several solid minerals in the different parts of the State such as Gold, Gemstone, Saphire; industrial minerals (Barite), metallic mineral (Columbite), etc. Over 50 known occurring mineral types have been located and sampled.
- Incorporated and registered Taraba Solid Minerals Development Company Limited (TSMD) with RC Number 285569.
- Undertook a satellite minerals survey of four block areas within the State of hydrocarbon and other minerals within the Benue Trough in 2012.
- The Taraba State Solid Mineral Development Company Limited (TSMDC) acquired from the Federal Ministry of Solid Minerals Development title deeds i.e. Certificate of Ownership (C of O) for over 16 sites for different minerals.
Attending both domestic and international trade fair where the various mineral potentials of the State has continued to receive unprecedented exposure to the world committee.
Agencies Under the Ministry
- Taraba State Environmental Protection Agency.
The Honorable Commissioner
Alhaji Ibrahim began his educational pursuit at Central Primary School Serti from 1966 – 1974 and later enrolled into Teacher’s College Gembu from 1976 – 1979. He then proceeded to College of Education, Jalingo from 1989 – 1993 and gained admission into the University of Jos from 2005 – 2010 where he obtained his BED/SOS/EDU.
His professional achievements include;
He also received an Award of Excellence by the Conference of Primary Schools Head Teachers of Nigeria – AOPSHON.
Workshops attended include;
National Workshop for Primary Schools Head Teachers, 2001.
Workshop on Capacity Building by NUT National Headquarters.
His political appointments include;
Secretary to Gashaka Local Government.
Adviser to the Gashaka Chairman on Projects.
Senior Special Assistant to the Governor of Taraba state from 2015 – 2018.
Commissioner of Social Development from 2018 – 2019.
Commissioner of Environment and sanitation, 2019 – date.
The Permanent Secretary
Information coming soon.
The Ministry has had Eight Commissioner since inception in the Year 2000.
Past Permanent Secretaries
The Ministry has had Seven Permanent Secretaries since its inception in the Year 2000.