Ministry of Water ResourcesClick on the Downward Arrow to View Details
About This Page
This page consists of all infomation about the Ministry of Water Resources ranging from its functions, present and past Commissioners, Present and past Permanent Secretaries and Agencies under the Ministry.
About the Ministry
The Ministry of Water Resources was created in December 2014 when it was separated from the Ministry of Rural Development. It is currently headed by Barr. Yusuf Nya Akirikwen ESQ.
Functions/Achievements of the Ministry
The Ministry functions primarily for the following reasons:
- Provide and manage urban water infrastructure in the state.
- Identify and document existing surface and underground water potentials of the state for future systematic harnessing.
- Ensure the supply of potable water for the populace, livestock and industries.
- Provide water for rural communities through the drilling of boreholes, hand-dug wells and harness surface water.
- Ensure that water sources are not polluted.
- Ensure minimal sanitation standards for the rural populace.
- Develop and manage irrigation infrastructure in the state.
- Advise Government on issues relating to all subject matter under the purview of the Ministry.
Notable achievements by the Ministry includes:
- Production of the Taraba State WASH sector policy.
- Provision of over 2000 hand pump/motorised boreholes across the state.
- Provision of over 1000 hand dug wells, spring and rainwater harnessing in the state.
- Provision of VIP and other improved Sanitary facilities in schools, motor parks, markets etc
- The enhancing connection of public water supplies in urban centres and small towns.
- Enhancing the overall performance of water and sanitation on across the state from mere 33% at the creation of the state to about 55% as at today.
Agencies Under the Ministry
Agencies under this ministry include;
- Taraba State Water Supply Agency and;
- Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Agency
The Honorable Commissioner
He began his education at Native Authority Primary School, Kpambo Puri from 1964-1970 where he gained his first school leaving certificate, Marmara Government Secondary School, Wukari from 1974-1979 and obtained his West African School Certificate.
He attended the University of Maiduguri from 1982-1986 and then proceeded to the Nigerian Law school, Lagos 1986-1987.
Chairman, Nigerian Bar, Association, Taraba State Chapter (1995-1999).
Member Governing council, University of Benin (2000-2004).
Member Governing council, Nigerian Institute for Oil Palm Research, Benin city (2000-2004).
Member Taraba state Judicial Service Commission (2000-2004).
Member Presidential Visitation Panel, Federal University of Technology Akure 2004.
Legal Adviser Women and Youth Foundation, Jalingo (2000).
Legal Aid Council Ilorin Kwara State (1987-1988).
Pupil Council and Ahmed Ali A.C.O BeKaji chambers, Yola (1988-1990).
Principal Partner Y.N Akirikwen and Associate (1991 to Date).
Yusuf Nya Akirikwen ESQ has been an active member, PDP Presidential Campaign Team (2003).
Member, PDP primaries National Assembly Appeal Lagos state (2003).
Member, PDP National Reform Committee (Dec 2005-April, 2006).
PDP agent in governorship election, Taraba State ( 14th April 2007).
Delegate, PDP Registration committee Yobe (2005).
PDP Agent for presidential election, Taraba State 21st April 2007.
A Ministerial nominee from Taraba State (2007) and
An Ambassadorial nominee from Taraba state (2007).
He enjoys Reading and Traveling.
The Permanent Secretary
Information coming soon.
|1.||Barrister Gowon Emmanuel||2015 – 2018
|2.||Aliyu Gidado ||2014 – 2015|
|3.||Aliyu Legge ||2013 – 2014|
|4.||Haruna Lau ||2013|
|5.||Rebo Usman||2012 – 2013|
Past Permanent Secretaries
|1.||Alhaji Sale Aliyu Mutum-biyu||2013 – 2014
|2.||Saidu Ajiya Karim ||2012 – 2013|
|3.||Mr Manu Gangum ||2010 – 2012|
|4.||Dr Mohammed Hamidu||2009 – 2010
|5.||Zubairu Maiwada||2006 – 2009|