Governor Ishaku keenly listening to the Chairman of the state’s covid-19 team and Honourable Commissioner of Health, Dr. Innocent Vakkai during his inspection tour to the NYSC Isolation center.
Governor Darius Dickson Ishaku says Taraba State is lucky with the low record of the dreaded Coronavirus ravaging the global community.
The Governor stated this during inspection of the one hundred bed space at the NYSC isolation center at Jauro Yinu.
He said at the moment all positive Covid-19 patients have been declared negative except for the eighty eight Almajiris whose results are still expected emphasizing that efforts are on ground to trace their parents.
Governor Ishaku decried the lack of ventilators and other testing kits to ascertain the true numbers of infected persons and assured Tarabans of his commitment to establish three testing centers for robust testing.
The Governor frowned at the manner people are still finding their way to the state despite the lockdown and charged security operatives to discharge their duties diligently in all border communities of the state.
He expressed happiness that more people are now sensitised on reasons behind the lock down through local government Chairmen and other stakeholders and commended religious leaders for doing same.
Governor Ishaku said the gradual easing of lockdown was what made him to allow people to move from Wednesday and Saturday from eight o’clock in the morning to six o’clock in the evening stating that he will look at the lockdown but not now.
The Governor applauded officials of the mobile court set to punish offenders of the lockdown order despite available reports that some people are still flouting the order.
He stressed that only those on essential duties are allowed to move during the lockdown.
Governor Ishaku thanked Access bank for partnering with the state government for ensuring that the center is set up to fight Covid 19 pandemic.
1.) Setting up Committee on Covid-19 with the Commissioner of Health as Chairman.
2.) Introduction of total lockdown which compels everybody to stay home every day except on Wednesday and Saturday. Only workers on essential duties are exempted.
3. Empowerment of security agencies to enforce the lockdown and the introduction of mobile courts to prosecute offenders.
4. Setting up a bed capacity isolation center at the current NYSC camp which is at the outskirt of the town.
5. Sensitization and statewide broadcast on various media like Taraba television, Taraba radio, cable networks, state government website, social media and others.
6. Provided the following state emergency contact lines for COVID – 19 to the general public.
08065508675, 08039359368, 08037450227, 08032501165.
7.) Broadcast of Jingles daily to sensitize Tarabans.
8.) Tightening of the state borders with neighbouring states to prevent influx of people through Karim entrance, Numan Jalingo route, Sardauna Cameroon border, Wukari Benue, Adamawa Jalingo, Kurmi Cameroon border etc.
9.) Fumigated the NYSC Camp Isolation center.
10.) Distribution of food and Non food items to the 168 wards of the state, each received by its local government chairman.
11.) Supported both CAN and Muslim Council with finances to help in ensuring effective sensitization.
12. The 138 inter-state passengers who were intercepted and later quarantined were tested and confirmed cases among them admitted for treatment.
13. Conducted contact tracing of index cases with the deployment of additional resources and manpower in the state.
14. Distributed protective kits in the state against COVID-19.
15. A loan of 2.5 billion was approved by Taraba state house of Assembly for Gov. Ishaku to fight covid-19.
16. Liaising with neighbouring state governors to effectively protect porous areas of state borders.
17. Plans to bring in sophisticated Mobile testing Machine for Covid 19 to help speed up resting.
18. Made several trips to the Isolation center to ensure everything is working normal.
19. Have been receiving Organizations who visit the state to donate Palliatives like the NEDC, NYSC etc.
20. Gov. Ishaku received N100m worth of food and non-food items for 3,828 households from The Victims Support Fund of TY Danjuma foundation.
21. The Gov. Ishaku-led government is trying her best to curb further spread of the virus beyond the reported cases in the state.
22. Due to effective management, no single case of death as a result of Covid 19 has been reported so far.
23. The six people who were tested positive and reported by NCDC now test negative after treatment and have been discharged.
24. Gov. Ishaku is partnering with Access Bank to provide a-100 bed capacity isolation center.
25. Her Excellency, Barr Anna Ishaku provides food items and relief consumables to the aged and vulnerable Tarabans.
26. Introduction of school on air to teach students while at home via TTV and TSBS
27. The evacuation of Almajiris from Taraba state and receiving of same as agreed by the Northern Governors Forum.
The Executive Governor, Arch. Darius Dickson Ishaku has approved the appointment of Dr. Danjuma Garba as the new Director-General of the Taraba state AIDS Control Agency (TACA).
This was contained in a Press Release signed by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Hassan Mijinyawa and dated 20/02/2020.
Dr. Danjuma Garba who is a fellow of the West African College of Physicians, holds an MBBS Degree from the University of Maiduguri and a Master’s degree in Public Health from the University of Leeds, London.
He has worked with World Bank – Financial Projects for over fifteen (15) years and was the Project Manager of the Taraba state HIV/AIDS Programme Development Project II as well as the Director HIV/AIDS treatment, care and support of TACA.
Dr. Garba possesses wealth of experience in implementing healthcare projects in Nigeria and was the pioneer State Coordinator of the Nigeria State Health Investment Project (NSHIP) and was also the northeast coordinator of Nigeria AIDS Indicator and Impact Survey (NAILS), supported by Maryland Global Initiative Cooperation and the University of Maryland, Baltimore, United States.
According to the Press Release, his appointment is with immediate effect from the 6th of February 2020.
Governor Darius Ishaku on Wednesday flagged off the 3-day free Rescue Medical Outreach for the less privileged in the State.
His Excellency, the Deputy Governor Engr. Haruna Manu representing the Governor during the flag off.
At the event held at the State Specialist Hospital, the Governor restated the commitment of his administration toward ensuring the health and wellbeing of the people, by providing an effective healthcare service delivery across the state.
Represented by his Deputy, Engr. Haruna Manu, Ishaku called on the people to take advantage of the gesture and avail themselves at the designated centres for the exercise for their benefit.
The medical outreach which feature screening and treatment for common medical conditions prevalent in Jalingo and it environs such as Malaria, Diabetes, Hepatitis, Hypertension, HIV among others is expected to last for three days.
The medical outreach is also expected to breast and cervical cancer screening as well make referral for further management of serious cases to better medical attention.
Our correspondent reports that the event was attended by the wife of the Governor, Barr. Anna Darius Ishaku, wife of the Deputy Governor Haj. Zainab Haruna Manu and other top government functionaries.